Thursday, February 19, 2009

World War: In the Balance by Harry Turtledove


World War: In the Balance
Harry Turtledove
1994, Hodder and Stoughton, London
0340618396
656p.

It is the 1940s, during WWII, an invading fleet of reptilian aliens disrupt the sparring humans who then must unite against a common and technologically superior foe. But the reptiles are underprepared, as their scouting probe had sent back images of the Middle Ages, and when they arrived on Earth, they found humans had advanced more rapidly then they could have anticipated.

This book has an interesting premise and it's well executed but frankly it's far too long. I think if I knew more about WWII I would have enjoyed it more, but I'm a hard sci-fi fan and need a fair bit of action involving technology or sociological commentary to keep me interested. This was just a war tactics books with intelligent reptiles.

Link to journal at bookcrossing

No comments: