Wednesday, May 7, 2008

The Man of my Dreams by Curtis Sittenfeld

The Man of my Dreams
Curtis Sitenfeld
2006, Random House, New York
0330441280
266p.

This is a coming-of-age novel about a young woman learning about life and love. Hannah is a shy girl who struggles to find her place in the world.

The characters in this novel are similar to those in Prep, so much so, I wonder if it's slightly autobiographical. Like Lee in Prep, Hannah has low self-esteem and is exceedingly selfish in the way she sees other people. I enjoyed reading about these characters - I can see aspects of myself in both of them, in the way they think and how they view the world.

This book is very honest and full of little 'real' scenes, which are beautifully poignant. The honesty can be uncomfortable, but that's what makes it a great book - you want to keep reading.

Link to journal at bookcrossing

No comments: